A couple of weeks ago I posted a great recipe for banana chia seed pudding. Tonight I made an even better version using mango. It was sweet, smooth and delicious.
On my last post about chia seeds, I mentioned why chia seeds were so nutritious and mentioned Omega 3's, Calcium, Protein and Fibre. Here are a few more reasons!
2. They are super high in dietary fibre, making it great for digestion and healing digestion issues.
3. They contain 20% Omega 3 ALA, making it a super food for the brain and heart. Chia has eight times more Omega 3 than salmon!
4. It boasts 20% protein
5. The protein is a complete protein with all 8 essential amino acids
6. It is high in antioxidants
7. Chia contains five times more calcium than milk
8. Chia contains seven times more vitamin C than oranges
9. It contains three times more iron than spinach
10. It contains twice the potassium content of banana
11. It is food for healthy skin, hair and nails
12. It has a positive impact balancing blood glucose levels (making it awesome for diabetics)
13. Chia makes a great egg replacement. Just combine with water to form a gel, and add it to recipes that call for egg.
Mango Chia Seed Pudding
- 1 mango, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup your choice of milk, yogurt or kefir (I used goat's milk Kefir from Ran-Cher Acres)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Puree the mango and liquid together in a blender and transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Place the bowl in the refrigerator and let sit for 1-2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
I think that any fruit can be used in the same way to make endless variations on this pudding. Maybe strawberry with kiwi bits? Or a nice peach one during peach season in August? How about wild blueberry? Play around with fruits and matching spices or add some nuts to it. They're great for dessert, as a snack, or even for breakfast. Get creative!